Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Mom of the year

On  Thursday May 30, Lyra fell out of a tree, it was about 3 feet tall. She was goofing around with a couple of her friends at the park. She complained that her arm hurt. I told her to buck up. She tends to be a bit of a hypochondriac at times and doesn't do pain well. When we got home, she was still complaining that it hurt. (In my defense, lest you think I am a terrible mother, she only seemed to complain about it if she was sitting around bored. It didn't effect her ability to play or be crazy in the slightest!) I wrapped her arm, dug out a sling that was laying around, and gave her some painkiller.  It seemed to help, and she quit complaining.  Until Saturday, when she fell again while chasing people around at Pyper's baptism. So, I gave her more painkillers.  Then on Sunday morning she was almost in tears because it hurt so bad. (This isn't unusual either. She had had a late night, an early morning, and a big day the day before. She doesn't function well on little sleep.)  I told her she could stay home from church and rest, and if it still hurt, we'd go to the Instacare when I got home. (I had to go teach Primary.)  Sure enough, after a nap and more painkillers, it still hurt. We loaded her up and went to the Instacare. Wouldn't you know it, it was broken! The nurse at the Instacare delighted in giving me a bad time.

Nurse: When did she fall?
Me: Thursday
Nurse: And you are just now bringing her in. (She was good-natured about it, and I could tell she was teasing or I might have been offended!)
Me: Yeah, I'm a GOOD mom.

Then she asked Lyra when she last ate. Keep in mind that it was about 2 in the afternoon now, and I had told Lyra to have some breakfast while we were at church since she was having a hard time getting going that morning.  Lyra informed her that she hadn't eaten yet today.

Nurse: So, you don't feed her either?
Me: Nah. Wouldn't want to ruin my image!

Then she took her temperature and she had a fever to boot! I'll tell you, I felt pretty bad!  They wanted to give her some ibuprofen, but wouldn't on an empty stomache. So the sweet nurse brought in a bucket full of snacks and a Gatorade for her. She loaded her up with Oreos, Cheese-its, Doritos, and Lorna Doones, and a dose of ibuprofen!

The doctor came in, and said she was pretty sure it was broken...right on the growth plate. She referred us to an orthopedist, and they splinted her up and off we went. We couldn't get in to the other doctor til Thursday. So it had been a whole week since she fell.

Sure enough, it was fractured. Luckily, it was just a small break, and it didn't go all the way through, so we don't have to worry about all that stuff that can happen with broken growth plates. She picked an orange cast.

It lasted for two whole weeks before it started to come apart. We went back today and they changed it for a purple one. The Physician's  Assistant who put it on was flabbergasted. "I've never seen a cast fall apart quite this badly before."  He did an EXTRA good job on this one so that hopefully it will last the remaining 2 weeks! 

And I only had to have minimal amounts of therapy to get over my mom of the year moment! :)